As in several other Southern states, April 26 is celebrated in Georgia as Confederate Memorial Day. In addition to hundreds other events going on around the state during the month of April in celebration of Confederate Memorial Day and Confederate History & Heritage Month, here are some of the events which will take place this weekend.
Make plans to attend one or more of these events… and take the whole family!
Confederate Memorial Day Observances
4th Brigade, Middle Georgia
Friday, April 25, 2014 – 6pm at Stevens Street Cemetery – just south of Elberta Rd. in Warner Robins, Georgia.
Friday, April 25, 2014 – 7pm at Cliett Cemetery – 247 Connector across from Peachtree Baptist Church, Byron, Georgia.
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – 8am at Confederate Statue, downtown Macon, Georgia. (Cotton Ave. at 2nd Street)
Saturday, April 26, 2014 -10am at Rose Hi ll Cemetery, 1091 Riverside Drive, Macon, Georgia.
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – 12noon at Woodward Cemetery, adjacent to The Hartley Bridge Road Church of Christ, 3465 Hartley Bridge Rd, Macon, Georgia
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – 2:30pm at Eatonton’s Pinegrove Cemetery on Church Street, Eatonton, Georgia.
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – 4:30pm at Ft. Valley’s Oaklawn Cemetery – Southside of Ft. Valley on GA Hwy 49, Ft. Valley, Georgia.
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – 6:00pm at Sandersville Old City Cemetery, the corner of Virginia Avenue, West Church Street (Ga Hwy 24), and West Haynes St, Sandersville, Georgia.
13 Other Confederate Memorial Day events from across the state listed below.
1.–Confederate Memorial Day Service by Americus Georgia Camp 78. Service will be held at the Confederate plot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Americus at 5:00 p.m., Saturday, April 26. The guest speaker for the Service will be William Alfred Bowers,
Jr. of Baxley. He is the Adjutant of the ApplingGrays Camp 918, and is avid historian and genealogist.
2.–Confederate Memorial Service by Stewart-Webster SCV camp in Stewart county. Dedication of an Iron Cross for 5th Sgt. John Cato Saturday morning at Macedonia Baptist Church starting at 10:30am Saturday April 26. From Albany travel north on Hwy 520, after you cross Webster County line turn right on Macedonia Church road. The Church is 4 or 5 miles on your left.
3.–Confederate Memorial Service at Sylvester Georgia by the Yancey Independants SCV Camp. 2 pm Sunday April 27 at the Worth County courthouse in Sylvester.
4.– Confederate Memorial Service by Calhoun Rifles SCV camp Edison Georgia. Monday April 28 at 7pm at Aldine Owen cabin on Bell Farm Road in western Calhoun county.
5. Saturday April 26, 11 a.m. Confederate Memorial Day Service will be presented by the Colorado Division of The Sons of Confederate Veterans in Greenwood Pioneer Cemetery on South First St. in Cañon City.
6. Confederate Memorial Day observance (Montgomery): 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Oakwood Cemetery, on Columbus Street in downtown Montgomery.
7• Confederate Memorial Day observance (Prattville): Members of the Prattville Dragoons, Camp 1524, Sons of Confederate Veterans, will honor their ancestors at 6 p.m. Monday at the Dragoon monuments, on Fourth and Washington streets in Prattville. A wreath will be presented, accompanied by a bagpipe rendition of “Amazing Grace.” For more information, call 365-4713.
Read more at:
8. Have you taken your family to see the last home of our beloved President Jefferson Davis at Beauvoir on the Mississippi Gulf Coast? Make plans for the Confederate Memorial Day event this Saturday “Confederate Memorial Day” at Beauvoir starting with a pot luck lunch starting at 12 Noon. Read more at:
9. The Gen. McLaws Camp No. 79 Sons of Confederate Veterans
A Confederate Memorial Day event is set for Saturday, April 26, 7pm, at Heritage Park in downtown Fayetteville. The speaker is Rev. (and military chaplain) Ken Koon, Executive Director of Armed Forces Mission.
Confederate History Month Proclamations received this year from Fayette Co. Board of Commissioners, City of Peachtree City, City of Fayetteville, Town of Brooks, and Town of Tyrone.
10. The Kennesaw Chapter No. 241 United Daughters of the Confederacy invite you to their annual Confederate Memorial Day service to take place on Sunday, April 27, AT 3:00 pm at the Marietta, Georgia Confederate Cemetery near downtown Marietta off of Powder Springs Road.
The speaker will be Brad Quintin, “the Legacy They Left Us.”
11. Also if you are nearer to Brunswick Georgia Make plans for:
The Thomas Marsh Forman SCV Camp # 485 extends you and yours and invitation to attend the Confederate Memorial Day Parade and service in Brunswick, GA Saturday, April 26th at 9:30AM until noon. Refreshments will be served by the local United Daughters of the Confederacy. Our guest speaker will be Edmund Ruffin, one of the famous fire eaters from Virginia.
Please feel free to march with us. We must show unity and strength.
Your Obedient Servant,
“Doc” Watson, former Color Sgt. of the Georgia Volunteer Battalion
12. And, do you want to visit the place where Jefferson Davis took the oath of office as Confederate President? The following has been posted on the Confederate History and Heritage site on face book.
The United Daughters of the Confederacy
Cordially Invite You
To Attend Our
Annual Confederate Memorial Day Service
Monday, April 28, 2014
Cradle of the Confederacy
Alabama State Capital
Special Music by Bobby Horton
Keynote Speaker – Mr. Mark Thomey
Roll Call of Honor
13. From: BENNY WATT TERRY
ADJUTANT CAMP 469
GEN NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST
SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS
Sunday April 27th we support the United Daughters of the Confederacy
with their Confederate Memorial Service at Sardis Church 3 pm
located on 7104 GA Hwy 20 from Rome to Alabama.
WE HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH THE UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY HERE IN FLOYD COUNTY. WE HOPE MANY OF YOU WILL ATTEND THEIR SERVICE AT SARDIS TO HONOR THE 19 KNOWN CONFEDERATE DEAD BURIED THERE. THESE LADIES BEGAN THIS HONOR AND NEED OUR SUPPORT.
14. At 10:00 a.m. the Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp in Chatsworth, GA will hold their annual Memorial Service on the courthouse square. They have added a granite Souther Cross of Honor to the top of the Confederate Monument and will be dedicating it that morning. I have been honor to be asked to be their quest speaker this year.
15. At 2:00 p.m. The Gen. Joseph E. Johnston Camp, along with the Civil War Roundtable of Dalton and the Pvt. Drewry R. Smith chapter of the UDC will hold the 148th annual Confederate Memorial Service in the Dalton Confederate Cemetery, final resting place of over 400 Confederates in this section alone, with many more in other parts of West Hill Cemetery.
16. At 6:00 p.m. The Col. McConnel Camp in Ringgold, GA will hold their annual Memorial Service in the historic Anderson Cemetery, final resting place for dozens of Confederate Soldiers, and the next to final resting place for 138 others who died in the war and were later moved to Marietta. This historic cemetery was hit hard three years ago, April 27, by that devastating tornado the tore through Ringgold just less than 24 hours after our service that year.