(BARNESVILLE, GA – February 26, 2015) As a continuation of the ongoing monument restoration work of the Sons of Confederate Veterans during this final year of the Sesquicentennial commemoration of the War, the Georgia Division, in conjunction with its local camp in Thomaston, has completed the cleaning and restoration of the only Confederate monument in Lamar County.
The monument is located in the Confederate Section of Greenwood Cemetery in Barnesville, Georgia, which was formerly part of Pike County until Lamar County was created in 1926. The funds for this project were raised by the General John B. Gordon Memorial Camp and the Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The cleaning and restoration was under the direction of Mr. Jeff Ellis of Clark Memorials in Macon, Ga. The Monument now sparkles like new and is a fitting tribute to those Southern heroes who gave their lives in the fight for Southern Independence and their country, the Confederate States of America. A Confederate battle flag flies on a nearby pole, adorning the Confederate section of the cemetery.
This is just one of the dozens of projects which has already been completed in recent years by the Georgia Division. The Division has tasked itself with the cleaning and restoration of those Confederate monuments which were erected in town squares and parks around the state near the turn of the twentieth century, as well as erecting dozens of new monuments in commemoration of the ongoing 150th anniversary of the War.
For more information about the Sons of Confederate Veterans or any of this year’s planned events to commemorate the Sesquicentennial of the War, contact the Georgia SCV at 404-456-3393 or online at www.GeorgiaSCV.org